ARC Five-Star Review: The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Name of book: The Mad Scientist's Daughter
Author: Cassandra Rose Clarke
Publication: January 29th 2013 by Angry Robot
Genre: Adult Paranormal Fantasy
Source: Provided by the kind publisher...
Goodreads

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter is the heartbreaking story of the journey from childhood to adulthood, with an intriguing science fictional twist.

There’s never been anyone - or anything - quite like Finn.

He looks, and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is to tutor Cat.

When the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world.



-- My Rating --



-- My Thoughts --

     I have been tracking Cassandra Rose Clarke's writing ever since I have read her "The Assassin's Curse", which I absolutely adored. I love the complexity of her characters and her superb world-building. This book didn't disappoint.
     Cat, is a little girl when her father brings Finn home. When she first sees him, she thinks he is a ghost. But as years pass by, she realizes that Finn is one-of-a-kind robot, a complex mix of machines that is supposed to be her tutor. And as she grows up, she can't help her growing attraction to him.
     But robots don't feel, they are programmed, and Cat goes on with her life. But forgetting Finn is something Cat's mind was never programmed to do. What is the story behind Finn? Who created him? Will Cat's life be whatever she hoped for. The Mad Scientist's Daughter will leave you enchanted, heartbroken, and perfectly happy.
     Cassandra Rose Clarke never disappoints. As I was reading her second book, I realized some things. First, her "The Assassin's Curse" had a lot of world-building but this one, was more of a character-driven story. Second, she tends to write complex, slow-developing romances. But she makes them truly believable. Third, just like her romance aspect, Cassandra makes up characters that you feel for, feel with, and fall in love with. Complex and multi-layered, her characters are strangely realistic, even in such a not-so-ordinary world!
     I absolutely adored this novel. it made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me think about the true meaning of love. True love, not something cutout of cardboard and taped together with lies. This is recommended to anyone who enjoys a very powerful, realistic, character-driven story!

14 comments:

  1. I love complex, slow-developing romances! Yes I do! This sounds really good. I haven't read anything by this author but your review definitely makes me want to change that.

    This one sounds unlike anything I have ever read! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Soma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these kinds of novels, too.
      Well, thank YOU Jenni!

      Delete
  2. This one looks really good - I just added it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woha now after hearing all this I'm dying to read it. :) I hope I'll get a chance. Thanks for sharing :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so interesting ~ I like stories with robots, will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, creepy in a way. Robots are always well scary (too much Terminator). And rights to them, how does it all end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I have an ARC of this one that I have to read soon too. Glad to hear it's a good read Soma great review as always :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's awesome.
      Thanks for stopping by,Kimberly!

      Delete
  7. I havent even heard of this author until now. But the story sounds amazing!! Deep and real characters are what I ALWAYS want to see in the books I read!!
    SO- Ill add this one, and The Assassins Curse to my TBR list!

    Fantastic Review!!

    - Theresa Jones

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!