Review: A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest

Title: A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire #1)
Author: Bella Forrest
Publication: December 14th 2012
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy
Source: Provided by the kind author...

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.
An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?


-- My Rating --


3.5 / 5 Oscars : Liked it...

-- My Thoughts --


     I have noticed, through these couple of years that I have started reading paranormal, many of the books that deal with vampires are replicas of Twilight. This one was not. It was a mixture of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, and some other third material that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
     Sophia is a normal seventeen-year-old girl. But when she is kidnapped and taken to a place where the sun never shines, she will learn that walking all alone at night is never a good idea. And that the only way to survive in a place where everyone wants to drink your blood, is to make Derek Novak fall in love with her, head over heels.
     The characters in this book were typical. Sophia was brave, although sometimes i couldn't just fathom how she could be so calm when she had the chance of being eaten every second. I loved her calm manner, at times. Derek is a babe. He is a great guy but he reminded me of Edward, which I didn't like, at all. This book was enjoyable in its own way, but I had one complaint, it finished too soon. I felt like it was rushed, and the ending came too soon.
     Although not my favorite book, but i will continue with this series to see where Ms. Bella Forrest will take it from here.

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this was formulaic and predictable and somewhat disappointing. It should have been more than just another YA vampire book. Ah, well, at least you didn't completely hate it.
    In your place, I'd probably continue the series too. Books like these just grab you and refuse to let go.
    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it too and it's true that felt a bit like Twilight :)
    And as you I will read the second book just to know what happens with the two lovers :)
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate when books are just replicas of other books! It does seem that young adult books are slowly losing their originality, and it's getting harder and harder to find a book that's truly unique and special these days. But I'm glad that you still enjoyed it overall! It looks like I'll have to skip this one.

    Thanks for sharing, Soma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an ok read. I'm also sick of the Twilight similarities in books it's actually become a big pet peeve of mine. Glad this one had some originality to it. Too bad about the rushed ending I find this happens more and more with recent releases too. Like the authors were maybe rushed to reach their deadlines? >.< Great review, Soma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't really heard too much about this one before but it's one I'll be looking into getting.


    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finding a good paranormal series. I'm glad you found the vampires to be unique and liked it enough to continue.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a big fan of Twilight *groan* but this seems quite good. I love paranormal books but I think the vampire trend is kind of been-there-done-that now. I'm glad that you enjoyed it even though it has a few flaws. Thanks for the great review!

    Zoe
    www.bookhi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. eeeehh this one doesn't sound like something I would like, which is unfortunate because I really like the cover. I am so sick of everything seeming like it follows the same formula, I want new!

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!