Review: The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

Title: The Silver Linings Playbook
Author: Matthew Quick
Publication: October 16th 2012 by Sarah Crichton Books
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Owned
Goodreads

A HEARTWARMING DEBUT NOVEL, NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE!

Meet Pat. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending for him -- the return of his estranged wife Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent time in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat's now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he's being hunted by Kenny G!

In this enchanting novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat's mind, showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. As the award-winning novelist Justin Cronin put it: "Tender, soulful, hilarious, and true, The Silver Linings Playbook is a wonderful debut."


-- My Rating --

5/5 Oscars: Loved it

-- My Thoughts --

      The Silver Linings Playbook. Such a unique, intense, thought-provoking read. Since the movie came out, I had wanted to read this. BEFORE watching the movie. Now  that I know how BEAUTIFUL this book really is, I am scared of my expectations of the movie!
     Pat Peoples has been in a mental facility for quite a long time. But of course, he doesn't know that. So, when he goes out, and everything has changed. His favorite team, the Eagles, are losing. His wife, Nikki, has left him. Though, he has no idea why. His father won't talk to him. And then, there is Tiffany, the broken, mysterious girl.
     Pat Peoples is one of the most complex characters ever written. His strange string of emotions are so believable. All his good deeds, his flaws, come together to construct an amazing three-dimensional character that you cannot help but fall for. I LOVED Pat so damn much. And I was wishing, hoping, praying that everything would work out for him. Tiffany, is an equally strange and complex character and I LOVED her, too.
     This is the true definition of a thought provoking read.It made me think about the true value of life and I cannot say how great this book is. This is a book about family, love, and moving on.That love can be found in the strangest of places, and that it's always in front of you but you just don't see it. This book is what the reviewers call "A Life-Changing Book".

6 comments:

  1. I read this one at the beginning of last year, and thought it was adorable - so I was excited to hear about the film when it came out. Funnily enough I finally got round to watching the film the other day, and then your review popped up =D
    I'm glad you enjoyed this one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am glad you got to read my review,!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to see the movie or book but I want to experience both. Characters with flaws are the best kind :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see the movie, but now I think I should read the book first, it sounds so good! I really enjoyed reading your review!

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!