Review: This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Title: This is What Happy Looks Like
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Publication: April 2nd 2013 by Poppy
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: Owned
Goodreads

If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds. 

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?



-- My Rating --
3/5 Oscars: liked it

-- My Thoughts --

     I was in need of some cute, romantic summer read when I stumbled upon this one. And well it was great in some aspects, it was completely lacking in others.
     Ella O'Neil is a typical girl in a small town. Up until she gets an anonymous e-mail by accident. She and the mysterious stranger become friends over time. But what will happen when she confronts the real person she has been talking to? Will it be as easy as the e-mails they have been exchanging?
     I am always a great fan of books about celebrity lives. It makes me think that they are not that different from us, not at all. And this book was just like that. Getting to know Graham was really nice and the spotlight on his life from the paparazzi felt real and his problems felt real, too. Elle is an insecure girl without a male figure in her life. I understood her insecurities and connected with her.
     The romance is slow-moving, but then speeds them. And it's really great. Jennifer E. Smith knows exactly how to express how teenagers feel. There were a couple of aspects that irked me. Sometimes, the plot was too slow. I got bored and i had to go out of my way to read another more interesting book then get back to this one when I was in mood. I like to be in mood for a book ALL the time, so I guess that's why this bothered me that much.
     The things Graham did were a little bit too unbelievable. Actually, I dare say, most of this book was unbelievable in real life. This book is like a fairy tale. Every girl's dream. Every girl dreams of a movie star falling in love with her and spending his life with her. So, the concept was not entirely unique and it was unbelievable. More fantasy than contemporary.
     This is more of a light, sweet contemporary read that would be great to read on a vacation or on the beach. It's lovely and cute, a definitely amazing summer read!

6 comments:

  1. Bummer! Unbelievable contemporaries never work for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I basically felt the same as you about TIWHLL. I liked the concept, but the actual story was sooooo slow and quiet. I had such high expectations too.
    Excellent review, Soma. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I'm not much of a contemporary fan in general, unless it's highly emotional so this probably isn't the book for me. I do know a lot of people who'd like it. I think my co-blogger is even reading it too! :p

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!