ARC Review: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Title: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1)
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publication: April 3rd 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Genre: YA Historical Fantasy
Source: Provided by the kind publisher...
Goodreads

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


-- My Rating --
5/5 Oscars: LOVED it

-- My Thoughts --

     I have been hearing so much about this series for a long while now. I didn't know exactly what genre it was but when I had the chance to read it, I jumped at it! And I am SO GLAD I did.
     Ismae has lived a harsh childhood and when she has the chance to become one of Death's handmaidens, she thinks that she finally has a chance to fit in. But with Brittany on the edge of war and siege and in a place where loyalties are tested and nobody is what they seem, executing Death's wishes has never been harder.
     First, the setting. Brittany. In a time where there is a threat of war from France. The MOST wonderful thing is that everything in this book has been taken from true historical events. Of course, some of the characters are fictional, but most of them were real people! The book has some actual historical events and it was so thrilling getting to read about them. I loved that the author took this approach and I think she excelled at it.
     The characters are definitely this book's strongest suit. I LOVED Ismae. She is the true definition of a bad ass heroine with a  brave heart and a kind soul. She had a unique voice. The other secondary characters were also quite believable, whether they were likable or not.
     Then, there's our love interest, Duval. This is by far one of the BEST romances I have ever read. Believe me, nothing compares to the excellence in which this romance was served. It developed slowly and it was believable. There was true chemistry and tension and passion. And I LOVED every single moment they were together.
     The events in this book are extremely thrilling. It's been a long while since I have read a book that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout its length and i didn't feel bored for a second. I cannot wait to start the second book and dive more into the depth and the wonderful imagery that is in Robin Lafevers' writing. PS I realized while reading this book that I am a HUGE fan of that era. I can picture myself walking in a castle with a huge gown. PERFECT!

1 comment:

  1. Great review hun! I didn't love this book as much as many others but this isn't exactly my genre either. I def get what all the fuss is about, though! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!