Review: Rebels by Accident by Patricia Dunn


Name of book: Rebels By Accident
Author: Patricia Dunn
Publication: August 16, 2012 by Alikai Press
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: Provided by the kind author...

A Troubled Teen Sent to Cairo Finds Revolution is Everywhere, Including in Ourselves

When my first party ends in jail, I think things can’t possibly get worse. But then my parents send me to my grandmother in Cairo, and I’m sure my life is over. My sittu is Darth Vader’s evil sister, and I’m sure the only sites I’ll get to see in Egypt are the rooms in her apartment.

Turns out she’s not so bad. We ride camels by the pyramids and ice skate at a mall.

As Sittu says, “Sometimes a moment can change your life.” But it can change the life of a country too. When a girl named Asmaa calls the people of Egypt to protest, I find myself in the middle of a revolution, running from tear gas and guns.

Oh yeah, and I meet the cutest guy I’ve ever seen. Fall in love for the first time. And have my first kiss.


-- My Rating --


-- My Thoughts --


     Beautiful and touching, one of the books that touched my heart and left a spot there that will never be erased. I loved this book, it is set in a time that was truly phenomenal and rebellious in the history of the World. This review will be REALLY long, since I have a lot to say, please stick with me.
     It's Mariam's second trip to the police station, but this time she is arrested because she was in a party with drugs and alcohol. It was her first party, but it looks like it's her last, too. Mariam can't even begin to expect her parents punishment, but to live the next 5 months of high school with her grandma in Egypt, talk a jail sentence. Mariam doesn't even know how to be a Muslim. At least there is a bright side to this, she gets to spend the 5 months with best friend, Deanna, she is coming, too!
     Well, it looks like her grandma, Sittu  (Grandma in Arabic) isn't so bad. They get to climb one of the pyramids and ride on a camel's back. There are even cute guys here, like Hasan which Deanna seems to be head over heels in love with. But the conditions in Egypt are not very good right now, the youth are tweeting and posting about a rebellion and a demonstration. Suddenly, Mariam is caught in the middle of a rebellion, that's not only in the country, but also in ourselves.
     How will Mariam survive the guns shots and the tear-gases? What will she learn from this trip? And will she maybe, finally get the boy and her first kiss? Find out much more when you read this touchy, superior-crafted, realistic read, Rebels by Accident.
     I loved this book! Absolutely every part of it. This story really hit the core of my heart since it was set in a true setting. Me and my family spend months last year and even now, watching the news, witnessing the rebellion in Tunisia, Egypt, Libia. How people in those countries were finally done with their stupid, cruel unfair regimes and brought down every so-called president.
     The rebellion is still going in Syria and hundreds of people are killed and tortured every day, just watch CNN or BBC. There was even a small rebellion in my country, but the government managed to "shush" the people quickly, by torturing them and killing dozens. It was horrible, and heart-breaking, me and my parents prayed for those people to find their place in Heaven and for this cruel regime to end.
     Another aspect of this novel that I loved, is the development. When Mariam comes to Egypt, she doesn't even know Arabic or anything for that matter.But the way she learns is beautiful. They way Patricia Dunn, the author, makes readers understand the nature of Muslims. Many Muslims are prejudiced all around the world every day, people think that we are all like the gun-carrying murderous assassins who call their massacre, "Islam". And we are not all those pure, un-educated people who know nothing about the world and the technology.
     We are all like you, our souls are not the clothes we were, or the things we do. We are free here, females are free to do whatever they do, there is no rituals or rules that we need to stick to. Even if we wear cloaks or scarfs around our hair, we are just the same as you. We all make this world they way it is, we ARE the
world.
     That's what Mariam learns trough this story. Nothing is shallow or superficial in this novel. Every characters have their deep levels and personalities. Deanne, Mariam's best friend is such an open-minded, easy learner, she is just so courageous and lovely. Hasan is the greatest guy you could meet. Sittu,
Mariam's grandma is so wise and touchy, she is really breath taking. Even Mohammad is one the most courageous guys I have ever seen.
     Patricia Dunn has truly sewn this story of pure silk; it is soft, beautiful and touchy. It really portraits what was happening the Arab countries last year and even now, she has built a realistic story that will stick with readers, young and old, alike. If you want to open your eyes to the world, and keep your mind wide open, but still enjoy a tale of self-discovery, then I am pretty sure that this book will make it to your favorite reads of ALL TIME.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!