Review: The Beach Cafe by Lucy Diamond

Name of book: The Beach Cafe
Author: Lucy Diamond
Publication: June 2011 by Pan Macmillan
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Source: Won
Goodreads

Evie Flynn has always been the black sheep of her family - a dreamer and a drifter, unlike her over-achieving elder sisters. She's tried making a name for herself as an actress, a photographer and a singer, but nothing has ever worked out. Now she's stuck in temp hell, with a sensible, pension-planning boyfriend. Somehow life seems to be passing her by. Then her beloved aunt Jo dies suddenly in a car crash, leaving Evie an unusual legacy - her precious beach cafe in Cornwall. Determined to make a success of something for the first time in her life, Evie heads off to Cornwall to get the cafe and her life back on track - and gets more than she bargained for, both in work and in love...



-- My Rating --



-- My Thoughts --

     I won this book from a giveaway. I haven't heard of the author before, nor have I read the blurb. So I dove in blindly into this, I didn't even know that it was an adult coming-of-age story (somehow...) I LOVE the cover, the font, the texture and the colors, it's beautiful!
     Evie has always been the black sheep of her family. She had faded in comparison to her two over-achieving sisters. She tried everything, from being an actor to a photographer, but nothing ever worked out. Now, she is trapped in a boring life, trapped in a relationship where the passion had been lost for years.
     All that changes when her beloved aunt dies, and she inherits the lovely cafe at the beach. Evie isn't sure whether she should sell it or start running it. Will she ever have the courage to leave everything behind and go to beach? Will she ever find her heart's true desire? Evie doesn't believe she will, but fate has different plans. Maybe being the black sheep isn't all bad.
     I liked this novel a LOT. The first couple of chapters were a bit slow, but then, when I got to know Evie, I began enjoying it very much. Lucy Diamond has a -I don't know how to name it- daring writing style, she is not afraid to express her ideas and this showed in her characters. Not even one of them were cardboard cut-outs or two dimensional. 
     I loved Evie. Yeah, I know she is much older and her thinking ways are different, I felt for her and related to her. What I loved the most about her was her sarcasm, she made me laugh out loud in every page. She is really smart, and adorable. Ed is amazing, too. He is mysterious, but funny and like-able. Every other person in the town are amazing, I wished I could live with them (if they were real, that is.) Just so you know, there is no love-triangle.
     I loved the uniqueness of the story and the author's unique writing style. This book is definitely not something I would have read, but I don't regret reading it at ALL. I will be checking out the other books by Lucy Diamond. This is recommended to romance and coming-of-age fans.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book! Have a happy Thanksgiving! :)

    Leigh Ann
    MaMa's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Great review, Soma! I added this one to my wishlist. Love coming of age stories! :)

    Hope you're having a fabulous week!
    ~Gin @ Addicted to Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely cover! :) I mean it's blue and (mostly) everything blue is beautiful to me. :D I also love it when a book surprises me, you know when you don't expect anything and get a great book. Great review and I'm happy that you like it.

    Tanja @ Ja Ĩitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I'm glad you liked this so much! And it definitely sounds like Lucy's writing is daring from what you described it as! :) And I love romances and coming-of-age novels so I'll definitely have to see what this one is about awesome review! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this book, and I am glad that you are trying it! Thanks for stopping by, Eileen!

      Delete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!