ARC Review: The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry: Releasing TOMORROW!

Title: The Summer I Found You
Author: Jolene Perry
Publication: March 1st 2014 by Albert Whitman Teen
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: Provided by the kind publisher...
Goodreads

All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.

Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?



-- My Rating --
3/5 Oscars: liked it.

-- My Thoughts --

     This author is totally new to me. I haven't heard anything about her or her book so I was very excited to know if the book would fulfill my expectations and prove itself. it totally did.
     Kate has been through a lot in her life. She has discovered that she has diabetes. And then, her sweet boyfriend dumps her. She's scarred but so is Aidan. Aidan loved his job as a soldier but now he's a retired veteran at such a young age with only one arm. These two people are polar opposites but they just might be each other's safe haven.
     I loved the author's writing style. She perfectly voiced both characters, even though they're much too different from each other but she kept two distinct personalities throughout the whole book. That takes talent. And the plot is really just a simple story but she pimped it up, adding tension and back-story.
     The characters, the main ones are broken and even if they want to, they can't trust each other easily. I felt both Kate and Aidan's fears and insecurities and I fell for them both. This book had only one flow, and that was its slow-moving plot. It wasn't like that all the time, but sometimes, it really was slow and i found myself just dozing off for a while or leaving it to do something else.

     The ending was perfect. That's it. Nothing was left out and no loose ends were seen. It gave a hopeful future without giving too much of the imagination away. I loved that. I wasn't surprised when I saw tears pooling in my eyes after I finished it. It is really an amazing read for all hopeful romantics out there in the world. This is a thought-provoking and sometimes intense read. It proves that our feelings are what truly cripple us not our bodies. 

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this author either, but I love contemporary so I will def check this out! Great review! :)

    I'm a new follower btw! Glad to have stumbled upon your blog :)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... I do think I'm going to have to check this book out. I'm a bit worried about the slow parts, but if you still felt it was worth it, I can handle it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that many people are fans of Jolene's books, and while I'm not familiar with any of them, she must be a good author with her writing style and how perfect that ending is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was a great ending indeed

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!