Review: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Eleanor and Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publication: February 26th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Owned

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.



-- My Rating --

5/5 Oscars: Loved it...

-- My Thoughts --

     This book was getting a lot of buzz from the blogging world last year and when it won the Goodreads Choice Awards, I knew it was special, but I didn't really  know what it was about, so I was pleasantly surprised and i LOVED every moment of it.
    Eleanor is the new kid with the chubby body and the bright red hair. Park is the quiet guy with the Korean looks and love of comic-books. These two are just so different from each other, but together, they find their missing pieces and they remind you the beauty of your first love.
     Okay, so I didn't know this book was set in the 80s, but that didn't bother me at all. Actually, it was extremely refreshing and wonderful reading something from that decade. I loved the references to the music and Eleanor's love of the Beatles. the whole no-cell-phone thing was also amusing, since I really can't forget the time before we had cellphones. It was like, we didn't really care but now that we have them, we can't digest the idea of not having them.
     Rainbow Rowell is definitely a talented author. Especially in character building. Eleanor and Park are both totally unique and they feel so real. They are two distinct personalities and the author was able to keep the personalities throughout the whole book. She makes you fall in love with both of them. Feel for all they have been through or are going through. It is a truly emotional read that almost made me cry a couple of times.
     The romance is at its peak. It is the main point in this story. Eleanor and Park are each others' first love, and it's beautiful. It was amazing watching their feelings unfold. Reading their feelings. It almost felt like the author ripped these feelings right from my own heart, it felt so real and so true. They go through a lot of obstacles in this book but that never stops them from loving each other. The ending was perfect. I didn't expect it to end that way, but I was not disappointed. And the last few lines were amazing.

     This book will touch you to the core. it will remind you of YOUR own first love. Of how hard and how reckless it was. But it will also remind you of its beauty, its sweetness, the reasons why you'll never forget the person you first fell in love with.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, YES! LOVED this one too and I'm glad you did! I have to agree with ALL your points here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah! it is amazing,that's the truth
      thanks for being here

      Delete
  2. I'm in the middle of this one and I'm really enjoying it. I'm smiling one minute angry the next due to E's family, and cringing the next. I can't wait to finish it. I can finally see what everyone's been talking about!
    Best Link to DFW Spine & Joint Center Knee Doctor

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is an amazing book, indeed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one yet, but I loved Fangirl, so I really need to. I totally forgot this was set in the 80's so now I'm super excited about it!! Plus I love first love... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is totally amazing, i haven't read Fangirl but I am going to, soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!