Review: Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers


Name of book: Cracked Up To Be
Author: Courtney Summers
Publication: December 23rd 2008 - St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: E-book owned...


When "Perfect" Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter's High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher's pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?

Parker doesn't want to talk about it. She'd just like to be left alone, to disappear, to be ignored. But her parents have placed her on suicide watch and her conselors are demanding the truth. Worse, there's a nice guy falling in love with her and he's making her feel things again when she'd really rather not be feeling anything at all.

Nobody would have guessed she'd turn out like this. But nobody knows the truth.

Something horrible has happened, and it just might be her fault.


-- My Rating --

-- My Thoughts --

     So, I was searching through my collection of e-books, and I found two books by Courtney Summers: Cracked Up To Be and This Is Not a Test. I decided to start with the older one, Cracked Up To Be, which wasn't what I expected at all.
     Parker is perfectly screwed-up high school student, she is mean to everyone who comes here way. The only people who put up with her are ( or were) her now-missing best friend, Jessie. Her ex-boyfriend, Chris. Her rival and supposed-to-be best friend, Becky and the new kid in school, Jake.
     Parker is the fallen-princess of the high school. She was the head cheerleader and she had the perfect boyfriend. But one day, she gave up cheerleading and broke up with her boyfriend. Nobody knows why but we will find out toward the end of the book.
     Will Parker stop acting like a total *bitch*? Will she get over her emotional breakdowns? Who will she choose: the lovable Chris or the caring Jake? Find out when you read this YA contemporary romantic drama, Cracked Up To Be.
     First of all, let me say that I was disappointed with this book. Even when I finished it, I still didn't get the point of it! The characters  are pretty messed up and superficial. They are mostly one-dimensional. 
     I didn't like Parker, I hated how she treated other people. Even if you have been been through this much, you shouldn't treat people like that. She treated her parents like they were her servants or something!
     And she didn't deserve any of the love the two boys gave her. Even though she is the one who broke up with Chris whom still loved her like hell, he is still taking care of her, but she always snaps back his every word. Jake has the same situation, he openly confesses that he cares about her, she still doesn't give him a God-damn chance.
     When I reached the end, I was like " That's it?.... Oh, okay" I am so sorry, I don't want to act like I totally hated the book, there were some parts that I liked. I liked how the author didn't give away the reason Parker was so messed up until the end. And the reason was so unpredictable and unexpected. I loved it!
      Throughout, this book will very very enjoyable if you are a contemporary lover. Although it has a few minor flaws, it is still a very enjoyable and compelling read, You should definitely try it!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds waay too spoilt rich girl for me, might give this one a miss unfortunatley..

    http://theteenagebookworms.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!